Summer Maintenance - johninghram
Summer is a great time to head on vacation and enjoy some time with the family, but you also need to make sure you are taking care of your home.
- Give Your House a Touch Up- Touch-up the paint on the outside of your home. If you can’t remember the exact color of your home, you can ask a paint professional at your local paint store to come out and help you find the perfect match. This can be a simple weekend summer home maintenance project.
- Reverse Your Ceiling Fan- It’s a good idea to reverse the direction of your ceiling fan during the summer so that it spins counter-clockwise. This pushes the air straight down, creating a nice breeze. To do so, shut off the fan and wait for the blades to come to a complete stop. Once everything is still, use a ladder or step stool to locate the direction switch, this will probably be on the side of the fan above the blades. Now, enjoy the cool breeze!
- Wash Your Washing Machine- Your washing machine is one of those appliances that needs some light maintenance every now and then. When your washer is not in use, inspect the seal between the door opening and the drum for areas of soil buildup or any stains. If you find any, you can clean it with a mixture of ¾ cup of chlorine bleach and a gallon of warm water. Wipe the area with the bleach/water solution and then let it sit for about 5 minutes. Now, wipe dry with a clean cloth, and let it air dry. This will remove any odors and keep your clothes from getting stained by dirt deposits inside the seal.
- Check your patio, walkways, and driveway- Another great summer home maintenance tip is to thoroughly clean your walkways and driveway. The key to cleaning a patio, driveway and walkway is to use a pressure washer. Before you get out your pressure washer however, it is a good idea to check these areas for cracks and weeds. Once you have inspected everything, get out that pressure washer and wash away everything that has been sitting on there for the past year.
- Clean Your Screens- Washing your exterior windows won’t make much of a difference, if you don’t also wash your window screens. Take off all your window screens to your house and gently scrub them with hot soapy water. If your window screens are too filthy to be cleaned, you may just want to replace them.