Maintaining a healthy home goes beyond your usual spring cleaning, it’s important to check up on your house. Make sure that smoke detectors are working, and provide the right maintenance to welcome a new season and get ready for the seasons after it.
- Replace all filters including water, range hood and air vent filters. You should replace these filters every 3-6 months depending on the type of filter you have.
- Unscrew the faucet aerators, sink sprayers and showerheads, and soak them in equal parts vinegar and water solution. Let them soak for an hour, then rinse with warm water.
- A clogged dryer vent can be a fire hazard. To clean it, disconnect the vent from the back of the machine and use a dryer vent brush to remove lint. Outside your house, remove the dryer vent cover and use the brush to remove lint from the other end of the vent line. Make sure the vent cover flap moves freely.
- A house with a crawl space has vents along the foundation walls. The vents provide air circulation that helps prevent excess moisture and mold growth, and they prevent critters from taking up residence underneath your home. The screens collect leaves and other debris from fall and winter. Spring is a great time to clean them out and check for damage.
- You can't have a successful garden without good soil. It’s time to update your soil and perhaps throw some mulch down as well.
- Finally show your patio space some love by cleaning off outdoor furniture and making sure your grill is clean before you fire it up.
Enjoy your fresh start this spring!